Welcome to the mesmerizing abode of clouds Shillong! Nestled in the northeastern part of India, Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya, a state known for its lush greenery, cascading waterfalls, and vibrant culture.
As you embark on your journey to Shillong in 2024, get ready to be enchanted by its natural beauty, diverse landscapes, and rich heritage.
The nearest airport to Shillong is Umroi Airport (Shillong Airport), approximately 30 kilometers away. Domestic flights connect Shillong to major cities like Kolkata and Guwahati.
Shillong is well-connected by road. You can opt for a scenic drive from Guwahati, which is around 100 kilometers away. Regular bus services and taxis are available.
The nearest railway station is in Guwahati, and from there, you can take a taxi or bus to reach Shillong.
Local taxis are easily available for short or long distances. Agree on the fare before starting your ride.
Shared taxis are an economical option with set routes. Popular for both locals and tourists.
Autorickshaws are ideal for short city trips. Negotiate the fare before hopping in.
Local buses are an affordable means of transportation within the city. Check routes and schedules in advance.
Car Rentals, rent a car for flexibility. Ensure a valid license and understand local traffic rules.
Biking is a thrilling way to explore. Rent bikes for a personalized experience. Don't forget to wear your helmet.
Walking in Shillong is pedestrian-friendly, especially in central areas. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
Cycle rickshaws are available in certain areas for short distances. Slow but eco-friendly option.
Pamper yourself with a stay at the luxurious resorts and hotels in Shillong. With breathtaking views and world-class amenities, these accommodations provide an indulgent retreat.
Consider establishments like Ri Kynjai Serenity by the Lake or Polo Orchid Resort for an unforgettable experience.
For a balance of comfort and affordability, explore mid-range options like Hotel Polo Towers or The Pear Tree.
These hotels offer well-appointed rooms, quality services, and a pleasant atmosphere, making them ideal for a comfortable stay without splurging.
If you're traveling on a budget, consider budget-friendly guesthouses such as Café Shillong Bed & Breakfast or The Habitat Shillong.
These accommodations provide a cozy and economical stay, allowing you to save money for exploring the vibrant culture and attractions of Shillong.
For a truly immersive experience, consider staying in a traditional Khasi guesthouse.
Not only does this option offer an authentic glimpse into the local lifestyle, but it also provides an opportunity to interact closely with the warm and welcoming people of Shillong.
Look for guesthouses in the Laitumkhrah or Laban areas for an enriching cultural stay.
1. Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures: Explore the vibrant cultures of the northeastern tribes through exhibits and artifacts.
2. Elephant Falls: A majestic three-tiered waterfall surrounded by lush greenery, perfect for a leisurely stroll.
3. Shillong Peak: For breathtaking panoramic views, visit the highest point in Shillong, offering a glimpse of the Himalayas on a clear day.
4. Mawphlang Sacred Forest: Immerse yourself in the mystical atmosphere of this sacred forest, home to a variety of plant and animal species.
5. Police Bazar: Indulge in some local shopping and try traditional Khasi dishes at the bustling Police Bazar.
1. Umiam Lake: Engage in water activities like kayaking and boating in the serene waters of this picturesque lake.
2. Mawlynnong Village: Known as the cleanest village in Asia, Mawlynnong offers a trek to the Living Root Bridge and a chance to witness the local Khasi way of life.
3. Cherrapunjee and Dawki: Take a day trip to Cherrapunjee, famous for its living root bridges, and Dawki, known for its crystal-clear Umngot River.
1. Shillong Chamber Choir: If you're lucky, catch a performance by the renowned Shillong Chamber Choir, adding a musical touch to your trip.
2. Indigenous Cuisine: Don't miss the opportunity to savor local delicacies like Jadoh, Doh Khleh, and bamboo shoot-infused dishes.
1. Weather: Check the weather before your trip, as Shillong experiences a temperate climate, and packing accordingly is essential.
2. Permits: If you plan to visit certain restricted areas near Shillong, ensure you have the necessary permits.
3. Local Etiquette: Respect local customs and traditions, and seek permission before photographing people or religious sites.
Shillong, with its enchanting landscapes and vibrant culture, promises an unforgettable experience in 2024.
Whether you're an adventure seeker, nature lover, or culture enthusiast, this Northeastern gem has something for everyone.
So, pack your bags and get ready for an immersive journey into the heart of Meghalaya!
Get updated on travel deals and trip ideas!
Embark on a captivating journey through Sofia, Bulgaria, tailored exclusively for the Indian wanderer.
Welcome to your comprehensive travel guide from India to Lebanon! This guide will provide you with essential information, tips, and recommendations to make your trip memorable and hassle-free.
In this blog post, we'll uncover 11 most bizarre secrets about hotels in India that you might want to know before you book your next stay in India.
Bengaluru, also known as Bangalore, is the capital of the southern Indian state of Karnataka. Widely regarded as the "Silicon Valley of India," Bangalore is a vibrant city, melding history with modernity, and tradition with tech innovation. This...
Dive deep into our Travel Guide to Taiwan from India - where every street is a story, every bite is a taste explosion, and every moment is an adventure waiting to happen.
Indians love Dubai and here is a concrete proof to the fact! In a recent report released by Dubai Airports, India has emerged as the top country of origin for passengers arriving at Dubai International Airport (DXB).
Experience panoramic views of the Jhelum river while honoring the sacrifices that secured our freedoms
BCAS mandates timely baggage delivery within 30 mins of arrival, enhancing airport efficiency and security. Airlines urged to comply by Feb 26 to ensure smoother passenger experience.
Red Fort, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, reopened after a week-long closure due to security concerns related to the farmers' protest. While the situation remains dynamic, authorities deem it safe for public access.
Venture off the tourist trail and uncover 8 captivating gems, from majestic forts to tranquil sanctuaries.